Handy Course Info

Click on the links below to find out info about each course.

Forklift Info

After The Forklift Course

VERY IMPORTANT - After your Forklift Course!

You have 60 days to submit your application to Worksafe QLD and buy your high risk licence. If you do not, you will be required to resit the forklift course again.

Workplace Health and Safety is very strict with this and will make no exceptions.

Some examples of issues with this process.

  1. The person leaves it to the last minute. Worksafe uses your photo ID on your drivers licence. The photo needs renewing, so the person needs to visit TMR to renew the photo before Worksafe can issue the card. The person leaves it too long and misses the deadline. They will have to do the course again

Submitting your Application to Worksafe.

  1. 1-2 days after your course - look for an email from WORKSAFE - (WHSQLicensing@oir.qld.gov.au). It will be sent to the email you enrolled with. Check your spam/junk mail folder if you do not see it.
  2. Follow instructions in the email to buy your high risk forklift licence. Cost is approx $100 for 5 years
  3. If there are any problems with the process, keep a look out for any other emails
  4. If after 2 days you have NOT recieve the email from Worksafe, please call Cairns Truck School.


Low Literacy & Numeracy

Workplace Health & Safety has minimum guidelines for forklift course literacy and numeracy.

For people with low-moderate literacy, we can organise a 'one on one' assessment.


White Card

Bus Pickup and Drop Info

Free bus transfers from Cairns City every Tuesday (until further notice).
Participant must be at location before pickup time.

Pick up Times and locations
Dropoff at same locations approx 4:45pm to 5pm

Onsite (Remote) White Card Course

We can deliver the white card course remotely if there are enough participants to make it cost worthy.

Please call Kat or Ross for Pricing. Maximum Participation level 15 people.


Want to know what heavy vehicle licence you are eligible for? Use the form below to check. If still in doubt call us on 07 4242 1135.

Earth Moving


Do I need a QLD licence to book for a heavy vehicle licence in QLD?

Yes. You also need to have met the tenure (time) requirements to book a test. If you are transferring your licence from interstate, make sure you ask the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) to bring over your history from the other state. This will let the booking system know that you have had your licence for longer.

What is involved in getting a heavy vehicle licence?

You will need :

  • A heavy vehicle with the class and gearbox that you want to upgrade to
  • Book a test at TMR - approx $65
  • Practice for test with a supervising driver who has had the class of licence for more than 12 months
  • If upgrading from a car licence you will need to sit the written test.

Everything but the written test is organised by us when you book with Cairns Truck School

Do you have to do the written test before you can drive a heavy vehicle?

No. The written test is NOT a learner licence. It can be done before OR after your practical driving test.

You are eligible to practice driving a truck:

  • Once you have completed your tenure
  • Have L plates on the vehicle
  • Have a supervising driver in the vehicle with you that has had that class of licence for more than 12 months

Do I need to get a Medical Certificate to upgrade to a heavy vehicle licence.

Maybe. You will if you have:

  • Diabetes (controlled by pills or injection)
  • Black outs, fits or seizures or epilepsy
  • a licence with an 'M' condition on it

You will also need a medical certificate if you are applying for a DA (Driver's Authority) to drive with passengers.

You do not need a medical to upgrade your licence if you are fit and healthy and are not carrying passengers.

Does TMR supply the vehicle?


I have heard that if I have manual car licence, I can drive an auto truck and will still get a manual truck licence. Is this true?

Yes. You only have to prove that you can operate a gearbox once. You have proven to the Department of Transport that you can operate a synchromesh (manual) gearbox. You do not need to prove that again. That is why we recommend getting your non-synchromesh gearbox (crashbox) when you upgrade to HR if you intend to drive HC or MC class vehicles or dump trucks/sidetippers. You then can do HC or MC in an auto.

How long does my written test last for if I don't complete my practical driving test?

5 years. If you have done your written test you have 5 years to pass the practical driving test. If it has been longer than 5 years you will need to sit the test again. The same applies if you have passed the practical driving test you have 5 years to pass the writen test. Your licence does NOT get upgraded until both tests are passed.

Address: 8 Spoto Street, Woree QLD 486
Phone: 0407 471 817
Email: info@cairnstruckschool.com
ABN: 93 151 817 284
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram